Your story might be like mine.
Researching the best brand of essential oils
Purity & Price
Really, when trying to decide the best brand of essential oils, what it came down to for me was purity & price. As long as the oils didn’t have synthetic fillers and were an affordable price, I was all in.
Why purity matters:
Essential oils routinely go through adulteration, or cutting down of the oil to save the producer money.
Type 1 is non-volatile addition, in which the primary oil is mixed with non-volatile carrier oils.
Type 2 is secondary species or natural isolate addition, where an expensive oil is blended with an inexpensive one, or a compound is pulled from one oil and mixed with another.
Type 3 is synthetic chemical addition, where petrol chemicals are added to essential oils.
Type 4 is synthetic chemicals from natural precursor addition, which is a synthetic made from a precursor made from a natural component.
For those of us that don’t have labs to test for purity, there are a few things you can look for to know if the oil you’re using is pure.
- Check the label. The bottle should contain the latin plant name from which the essential oil came from.
- If it’s a cheap oil, it’s probably adulterated. Even Walmart is selling essential oils now. Definitely stay away from those.
- If the company releases its GC/MS reports on an oil’s purity, be sure to look at the date and lot number on the report. Some companies will recycle the same reports for use with several different lot numbers of an oil over a long period of time.
- Pure essential oils should not feel greasy when rubbed between your fingers. Instead, they should absorb into the skin within 1-2 minutes.
- High-quality oils should be sold in dark glass bottles, with a high-grade plastic orifice reducer (opening). Low-grade plastic can be broken down by an essential oil & light can reduce it’s therapeutic effects.
Different Prices for different qualities:
You pay for what you get couldn’t be further from the truth when it comes to essential oils. I bought my first essential oil from a health food store, and even though it only cost me $8, I was shocked to find that it took an ENTIRE BOTTLE to make one batch of soap.
When I was told I should have only had to use 1/4 of that amount, I knew something was off.
When you pay for a higher quality oil, you’ll find it lasts longer and has stronger therapeutic benefits. So, what might take a teaspoon of a lower-quality oil, will only take 2-4 drops of a higher, more pure essential oil.
The Best Brand of Essential Oils
My reason is pretty simple. They worked the best and lasted the longest.
I also fell in love with their blends, the “happy to please and fix any problem” customer service reps, and the lightning-speed shipping.
Hey, anything that makes my life easier makes me happy!
What about other brands?
There are lots of opinions out there on which brand is best, but really it comes to preference. I learned early on that the essential oils I purchased from my health food store didn’t come CLOSE to the strength and efficacy of my dōTERRA oils.
When it comes to Young Living, Plant Therapy, or any other of those brands… again, you’ll just need to decide for yourself and what feels like the right choice for you.
Instead of bashing other companies, I’ll share the things that I love about dōTERRA:
- I love their commitment to purity. They source their oils from all over the world and work very closely with the growers to ensure the best possible product. Each batch of oil undergoes seven different tests by a third party laboratory to ensure purity and quality (here is a link to more info on the testing). Also, dōTERRA is committed to working directly with growers to cut out middlemen, pay the growers a fair wage and grow the crops in a sustainable manner. Think fair-trade coffee, but with essential oils.
- I love their support and education. There is SO MUCH solid info available to those who order dōTERRA! There is a never-ending stream of printables, websites, audios, webinars, videos, and live events for those who want to learn.
- I love the company’s integrity and attempts to help communities. I tend to distrust large companies, and honestly, I was skeptical for a while. But I’ve been very impressed with dōTERRA’s co-impact sourcing and Healing Hands Foundation. I’ve seen firsthand the service that dōTERRA pours into communities around the world and it’s pretty amazing.
- I love that the owners are simple, frugal people. I assumed that the owners would be uppity people, and maybe that’s a fault on my part. They are completely the opposite. They drive older cars, live frugal lives, and know how important it is to stay humble and grateful.
After I decided that dōTERRA was the best brand of essential oils…
I started to use them in more ways than just a few. Essential oils play a big role now in my thyroid treatment, sleep cycles, hormone balancing, caring for my muscles, joints, & nerves, digestive help, and for various things here on the farm.
I bought a bunch of books on essential oil usage, and then contacted dōTERRA about teaching classes and offering essential oils to my friends & family.
Now, 4 years after my initial essential oil experience, I teach classes to help others start using essential oils.
If you’d like to take a short class on using essential oils, click below to take my free class:)