With spring just around the corner and my garden right after that…
“You know you’re a farm girl when you get excited thinking about a composter.”
I LOVED the idea for this composter because, well, composting can be a real pain! Have you ever tried it? I mean, as if it isn’t enough work to add dirt, and kitchen scraps, then you’ve got to add water and mix it up!
Ain’t nobody got time for that!
But, I really wanted to make my own compost! Although I have a lot of animals and therefore a lot of ahem, organic material…I also have a lot of waste with kitchen scraps and yard clippings and such. With this Arizona clay, you can’t get enough organic material in your garden!
So, when I saw this spinning composter on Pinterest, I knew I needed to make it!
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Food Safe Water Barrel of some sort (We already had one of these laying around)
- 3″ ABS toilet flange (We nixed the need for this by cutting the 3″ PVC pipe long enough to stick out the end)
- 3″ PVC pipe (Cut it long enough to stick out the end.)
- 3″ PVC cap (We bought two of these and screwed holes in them to vent on both sides)
- (2) 2 x 6 x 10 pressure treated lumber (We just used whatever lumber we had lying around.)
- (2) hinges with appropriate sized bolts and nuts-don’t use the screws in the package that comes with them
- (1) window sash latch with appropriate sized bolts and nuts-don’t use the screws in the package that comes with them
- (1) galvanized pipe (We had a random pipe lying around. We have a lot of junk lying around here on the farm.)
- (8) wood screws 1 1/2″ ish
It was SUPER easy, so check out the ORIGINAL TUTORIAL on the blog Potholes & Pantyhose if your feeling a little composty!